Sunday, September 12, 2010

I'm so Domestic! Huh, Bec?

At the beginning of the year Darin and I (OK - really me) decided that we (I) would like a garden.  We feel in love with fresh home made salsa, plus I really wanted to make my moms canned salsa (BEST SALSA EVER!).  So we planted tomatoes, jalapeno, banana, anaheim and bell peppers.  We also planted zucchini, banana squash, pumpkins, strawberries and watermelon (which the last two didn't turn out as well).


So the last two Saturdays I have been canning with the peppers and tomatoes that our garden produced.  I canned Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers (with Anaheim peppers in them), Spicy Banana Peppers (with Anaheim peppers also), Jalapenos and my mom's salsa.  All have turned out SOOOOO nummies:


I am kind of sad to see my garden die in a month or so but I can't wait for the pumpkins to be ready to carve and the banana squash to eat.  Hopefully next year I can get the watermelon and strawberries to work, but we are excited to do this again.  Savannah says she will only eat corn that we grow, so we will be trying corn next year.

Thanks to my parents for teaching me how to garden and how to take care of one, and thanks to Auntie Bella and Auntie Susan for helping us get one started.

2 comments:

  1. David and I have decided since last Sunday's tasting of your pickled peppers, that we're growing them!! Great job!! I'm jealous I don't have any!! Good luck with corn. I was told to grow in rows so they'll fertilize each other like they are supposed to so we did....it didn't work!! When I complained it didn't work I was told to plant it in a square so you have several rows each way to fertilize itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are domestic. HOLY. You did salsa all by yourself? My gosh, I bet your feet were tired!

    ReplyDelete